By Melissa Omolo
Today marks National Honesty Day in the world. They say honesty is the best policy, but do we really practice it when we think of it? Telling lies has become part and parcel of our lives. You remember those days we were kids and we would lie to our mothers that we have not licked the sugar, yet there are fragments of sugar cascading down our cheeks?
Let’s face it; we are all human and we make mistakes but is it really possible to be honest? What do I gain from being an honest person? If you’re striving to be the best you can be, honesty has to be at the foundation. Therefore, we need to make an effort in being honest to ourselves and others.
Well, here are just a few benefits of being an honest person:
- Others Know Where you stand and Where They Stand with You; CREDIBILITY: Being honest in every situation helps you build credibility. When you have a solid reputation, people feel more at ease with being around you and receptive to what you say. This ensures your clients and business partners trust you and you stay in business longer as an entrepreneur.
- Honesty fosters COURAGE… Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is doing what you know you want or need to do, despite your fear. It takes an immense amount of courage to say what you feel. It is often difficult and takes practice and patience, but the payoffs are enormous.
- Honesty attracts HONESTY… If honesty becomes an unconscious habit, you will become very attractive to other honest people. A life filled with authentic people is vastly enriched.
- Honesty creates a circle of LOVE… Honesty sets an example that invites others to imitate. When others respond with honesty, it can create more interpersonal closeness and authenticity. This often translates into love and can create an ongoing evolution of loving relationships.
- Honesty feels exhilarating because it is so FREEING… Being authentic and saying what you feel and think feels great! By doing so, you break free of the limitations of fear. No wonder they say the truth shall set you free!
Please Remember: Don’t Over Share; Great TRUTH Comes with Great RESPONSIBILITY!